Windows folding service installer, The easiest yet!

Got a Great Tweak to make your system Fold Faster and better? Post it here! [url=http://teammacosx.org/forumtest/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=989]Click here for recommended settings of Folding client flags - with advice for all PPC and x86 Macs, and PCs.[/url]

Postby NoahJ » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:32 am

I just looked at the folding installer that Wedo made.  Mine works very similar but with a few notable differences.

First of all, he repackages the Folding Program and cores rather than downloading them from Stanford directly.  This is a NO NO.  Stanford would have a fit if they knew he was distributing the Client and Cores in a repackaged way.  Is he aware that this is wrong?

Second he is sending along a client.cfg file with his name already in it.  This is not a good idea as well because if you forget to change it you will be foldign fro their team under his name.  

I recommend against using this installer, too many shortcuts and bad decisions made here.  I give it a thumbs down.  Sorry Papsomax, not a good app even if it is "easy"...
NoahJ
[url=http://TeamMacOSX.com]Folding With Honor, for the Platform[/url]

A True Opensource Community
The Premiere Mac Folding Team!
NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby Papsomax » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:43 am

Yes Stanford knows about it and has approved of his one-clik.  

And yes unless you manually change the config file, you will fold under his name. The instructions are there for all to read, but this is your forum and team and your decision.
Papsomax
I Live For TeamMacOSX
I Live For TeamMacOSX

Postby NoahJ » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:52 am

A new version of FAHService is ready for Testing.  This is still the singel CPU version, I am fighting a logic issue for the dual version that will be ironed out soon I hope...  For now, let me know how this works, and if you have any problems.  If it is good I will replace the old version with it...  I am also looking for a good ICON for it.  Any offers out there?  :cool:

[url=http://teammacosx.org//HostedApps/FoldingService/FAHSVCBeta.exe]Beta Folding Service installer... 1 CPU only.[/url]

Changes made:

A few dialogue changes, some code rework and it now opens -configonly upon initial install so you don't have to hit the command line for that part anymore.  It should be solid, but a thumbs up from Rower_CPU would be good.  ;)
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby NoahJ » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:11 am

[quote="Papsomax @ April 12 2004,17:43"][color=#000000]Yes Stanford knows about it and has approved of his one-clik.  

And yes unless you manually change the config file, you will fold under his name. The instructions are there for all to read, but this is your forum and team and your decision.[/color]

[color=#000000]Really?  I would need a link to that approval.  Especially since their license agreement specifically prohibits what he is doing.

[url=http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/faq.html#misc.security]The link in question from Stanford.[/url]

And the Policy you say they are allowing him to ignore
[quote]What about security issues?

We have worked very hard to maintain the best security possible with modern computer science methodology. Our software will upload and download data only from our data server here at Stanford. The Cores are also digitally signed (see below) to make sure that you're getting the true Stanford cores and nothing else.

How is this possible? We take extensive measures to check all of the data entering your computer and the results we send back to Stanford with 2048 bit digital signatures. If the signatures don't match (on either the input out the output) the client will throw away the data and start again. This ensures, using the best software security measures developed to date (digital signatures and PKI in version 3.0), that we are keeping the tightest possible security.

Finally, the client/screen saver are available for download only from this web site, so that we can guarantee the integrity of the software. We do not support Folding@home software obtained elsewhere and prohibit others to distribute the software.
[/color]
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby Papsomax » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:42 am

I am sure Wedo would not do amything to null and void Stanford's poilcies, nor his reputation, nor that of his Team.  His one-clik has been used by a majority of Team 32 and other individuals doing borgs.Is why I answered as i did.  I have a sent him an email to clarify this.
Papsomax
I Live For TeamMacOSX
I Live For TeamMacOSX

Postby 314159 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:06 am

I agree with you Papsomax. If Wedo had unintentionally not complied with Stanford's policies, it should be a simple matter for him to modify the script - which I am certain he would do.

Our situation here involves a substantial number of new and interesting folks who are using folding "tools" that they might not totally understand. You can quickly realize why we would ask them not to use one-click in its present form. :wink:

We obviously want all WUs that our new members generate to appear in their personal stats. We also want to avoid having to troubleshoot situations that can be easily avoided.
John in Virginia, USA

[size=100][color=red]If you are a member of this Forum, PLEASE log in when visiting. Thanks![/color][/size]
Dirty Old Man
Dirty Old Man

Postby NoahJ » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:22 am

Papsomax just informed me that Wedo has not gotten direct permission from Stanford for redistributing their files.    That does not mean his program does not work, just that he is in violation of Stanfords license agreement by redistributing the binaries outside of their consent.  I cannot recommend using this app based on that information.  (I was kinda hoping I could redistribute those files as well, would make it much easier in a lot of ways.  Back to the coding grindstone.  I wonder if wget is available for the PC.... ??? )
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby Venron » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:20 pm

A little feedback on the beta installer. I found I had to go back to the older version. Everything worked fine, except for the fact that it would put the config file on my desktop after running -configonly. Of course, this meant the service didn't do anything, as it was waiting for user input for the config. This may have something to do with the policies that are in place in the lab I was working in. Anyway, copying the config file and fahconsole file to the appropriate directory made everything happy, so I was able to add 15 Athlon 1800+ machines to the effort. Unfortunately, they have some energy conservation software on them, so will only crunch when someone uses them (or for a time afterwards, depending on the time of day). Better than nothing though.
Craig aka Venron, Apple Certified Desktop, Laptop, and Printer Technician since 1992

Venron
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Postby NoahJ » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:20 pm

DOH!  My bad!  I know what happened.  That will be fixed ASAP!  Thanks fo rthe feedback.  Forgot to set the default folder!  *smacks head*  

Wanna try it again?  :)   Same link...  Should work now...
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby Venron » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:57 pm

Well, unfortunately, I don't have any other machines that currently need setting up...

I suppose I could reinstall on one of the existing ones as a test...
Craig aka Venron, Apple Certified Desktop, Laptop, and Printer Technician since 1992

Venron
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Tricks