Windows folding service installer, The easiest yet!

Got a Great Tweak to make your system Fold Faster and better? Post it here! [url=http://teammacosx.org/forumtest/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=989]Click here for recommended settings of Folding client flags - with advice for all PPC and x86 Macs, and PCs.[/url]

Postby NoahJ » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:40 pm

If you could I would really appreciate it.  If not, I totally understand...

Anyone else care to try it, I think it is ready for late beta status.  :D
NoahJ
[url=http://TeamMacOSX.com]Folding With Honor, for the Platform[/url]

A True Opensource Community
The Premiere Mac Folding Team!
NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby Venron » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:18 pm

OK, I tested it in the interest of getting my lab changed over to -forcesse. It now puts the config file in the right place. The next machine I tried I didn't pay attention, and had to run the program twice because it removed the service on the first run :laugh: The second run reinstalled the service and everything was fine.

On the second and third machines, I said no at the second dialog so I could modify my flags. However, after doing this, the machines were not folding, and the log had the last entry as "CLIENT_DIED". Rebooting the machine, or uninstalling and re-installing the service makes everything happy again.
Craig aka Venron, Apple Certified Desktop, Laptop, and Printer Technician since 1992

Venron
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Postby NoahJ » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:24 pm

Ah, client died means that you stopped the folding client and then restarted it before it had fully stopped.  It is a timing issue that I am unsure of how to resolve right now.  I will look into it.  Probably stop the client when you get to the flags screen right away so that when you actually do put the flags in and continue it should be good and stopped.  :;):  Thanks!  Now I am working on getting it to download the CLI for you automagically.  That beta should be up in the next few days.  Then nobody will have to leave the isntaller to do anything.  It will all be self-contained!
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby haysdb » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:56 am

I am in the process of surveying the available Folding@Home service installers, and NoahJ's is on my "short list" of three installers. Of interest is that one of the other installers, Buzzard's FAH4 Console Installer, also includes the console and the cores, which I have VERY STRONG reservations about. I agree that this is a NO NO. This installer is still on my list only because of my favorable experience with another of Buzzard's programs, FAH LogStats.

it's critical that any service installer supports installation of at least two instances of FAH. For P4's with HyperThreading, two instances of FAH are required to take full advantage. A dual Xeon (not that I have one) would need four clients.

David
Folding as David_Hays for SilentPCReview
haysdb
Not So Silent SPCR Spy
Not So Silent SPCR Spy

Postby NoahJ » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:51 pm

Once I get the single doing auto downloading properly then I will work on multi-processors.  Installing more than one instance is getting easy.  Un-installing is where it gets tough...  :angry:
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby Venron » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:47 pm

I am very interested in the dual Xeon, as we have 8 of them in our server rack. We have noticed that the dual shows four windows in task manager, and our PC guy is at a loss as to why Windows thinks two means four. I personally just know enough on the PC side to be dangerous  :p
Craig aka Venron, Apple Certified Desktop, Laptop, and Printer Technician since 1992

Venron
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Postby 314159 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:17 pm

[quote]I personally just know enough on the PC side to be dangerous  :p
Hmmm, dangerous enough to install 32 instances of fah4 on those dualies? :biggrin:
John in Virginia, USA

[size=100][color=red]If you are a member of this Forum, PLEASE log in when visiting. Thanks![/color][/size]
Dirty Old Man
Dirty Old Man

Postby Venron » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:43 pm

Depends. Will running 32 instances help my ppw? ???

Venron
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Postby NoahJ » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:25 pm

They show as 8 processros due to HyperThreding technology in the processors.  You really should run 8 instances on all those machines.  :wink:
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby Venron » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:32 pm

Great. Can someone point me to instructions on how to create 7 more services so I can do so? And they actually only show as 4 processors, at least on the dual Xeons we have running Win 2003 Server.

Venron
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Tricks