Team 1971-Who has discrete GPU's & what kind?

This NEW forum is the place to ask questions and find the latest news, views, and information about GPU folding. Over the next couple of weeks, additional information will be added. In the meantime, post your questions here!

Postby Tico » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:10 pm

Jackrabbbit- you seem to be the only active poster, looks like you just passed me on the team stats :).
Anyway, I'm trying to push for Mac supported GPU WUs. I question I got was how many Macs have discrete GPU's & what kind?
The impression is that most Macs participating in Folding don't have discrete GPU's. Is there anyway we can survey the entire TeamMacOSX?
thanks
θ∆ics
Tico
Getting Acquainted
Getting Acquainted

Postby jackrabbit » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:57 pm

AFAIK, the client reports to the work server about the machine's capabilities. If Stanford wants to know what GPUs are available, I don't think they really have to ask us. In any case, you could just look at Apple's current line-up of Macs. Compared to other brands, it isn't exactly top-of-the-line anymore in terms of raw computing specs.

As you've noticed, activity on this board has all but ceased. The board admin could send a PM to all board members, but there is no way to exclude the people who are no longer folding. You would probably have better luck getting responses over at https://foldingforum.org/.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
jackrabbit
Most Helpful Member
Most Helpful Member

Postby Tico » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks, I'll post that question to the folding forum. I was hoping if enough people pinged them it would help demonstrate our interest. Even the older GPU's like my GXT 680 do better than the CPU. The rumors have it the next release of the nMP will have the latest Fury graphic cards. It appears that these newer cards and others are listed in the latest beta kernel extensions. However, until they decide to make Mac GPU WU's available, its a mute point. Our team is slowly slipping in the rankings from 18 to 20, so we are operating at a distinct disadvantage.
θ∆ics
Tico
Getting Acquainted
Getting Acquainted

Postby Tico » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:14 pm

The sates have already been posted:
Re: Will the OSX 7.4* beta release include GPU support?
Unread postby foldy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:57 am

We have 76000 Win+Linux CPU folders and 30000 Win+Linux GPU folders. So 40% are using GPU but there may be folders which only fold on GPU. We assume 30000 extra CPUs at max could be used which makes the GPU to CPU ratio 30%.

On OSX there are 9500 CPU folders and this is a potential max 30% GPUs = 3000. But most likely it is e.g. only 10% because on OSX there are less usable GPUs. This is still a potential of 1000 GPUs.

The current 30000 GPUs fold 100000 tflops which is 3 tflops per GPU in average. On OSX there would be less powerful GPUs, so we assume an average of only 1 tflops per GPU. So the OSX GPU tflops potential is 1000 GPUs x 1 tflops/GPU = 1000 tflops.

So a OSX GPU core would increase the total tflops 100000 by 1000 tflops which is 1%.
foldy

θ∆ics
Tico
Getting Acquainted
Getting Acquainted

Return to GPU