Bizarre critique of Folding

A place to post where it does not otherwise fit. All the rules apply, but a bit more leeway may be provided.

Postby jim.gluftsis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but read for yourself.
http://www.gwern.net/Charity%20is%20not ... %20helping

I found it looking for info about the good that has been done via:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/arch ... 03169.html

As was commented there: This is what happens when a logician dabbles in science based on incorrect presuppositions.

The worst is where the author has no clue what happens to all that "extra" electricity generated by power plants.

The author's premise reminds me of the argument that ping pong players can die from repeatedly getting hit in the head with a ball over decades of play.
To accelerate this experiment - as you don't have decades to find out what happens - using simple math, one would drop a ten-pound weight on the head of a mouse.
Not surprisingly, the mouse dies and the theory is proven that ping pong balls hitting you in the head will kill you.
jim.gluftsis
Getting Acquainted
Getting Acquainted

Postby Penfold » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:04 pm

My ears ring to the sound of a large axe being ground with an intensity worthy of Wyle E. Coyote himself. Note that our hero does, say of himself,
[quote] "As I am not a biologist nor omniscient, "

( " nor omniscient " !!! Now there's a modest cove, by golly!)

I assumed that my electricity bills would go up as a result of taking part in F@H with a machine running all day and night, month in, month out (and now, I suppose, years in and years out). My electricity usage has increased by 6% over the past year, but that isn't due to my participation in F@H alone. Furthermore, I was able to figure out that the whole project I embarked upon in building a machine from scratch for that very purpose would have a calculable energy cost and would consequently contribute to an increase in entropy. Yes! The Universe is winding down! The Second Law of Thermodynamics rules!
Furthermore, it had occurred to me that an army of machines devoted to F@H would necessarily consume a good deal of energy. Who wouldn't realise these things?

My take is that I guess he can't distinguish between potentially useful expenditure of energy on the one hand, and extravagant, wilfully prodigal expenditure on the other.

He should turn his not-quite-omniscient gaze upon the denizens of the Admass and their immensely vast consumption of energy while busying themselves with trash culture, trash food etc.
Ubuntu 14.04.4
F@H v 7.4.4
Penfold
When Can I Move In?
When Can I Move In?

Return to General Discussion