Windows folding service installer, The easiest yet!

Got a Great Tweak to make your system Fold Faster and better? Post it here! [url=http://teammacosx.org/forumtest/viewtopic.php?f=204&t=989]Click here for recommended settings of Folding client flags - with advice for all PPC and x86 Macs, and PCs.[/url]

Postby NoahJ » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:15 pm

Alright all you windows weenies out there.  You know who you are.  :wink:  (Like I don't have one or two windows boxes myself)

I have written a executable to install the F@H CLI as a service.  It is one file that you run and if you follow all the directions will have you folding as a service in no time.  I can alter the EXE if there are any questions or suggestions along the way.  

Only use this if you are not currently running F@H as a service and would like to.  Also you will need administrative rights on the machine for this to work.

Here is how it works.

Download the latest CLI Client to C:\Program Files\Folding@Home and configure it for your username and team 1971.  Then from there stop the CLI and run the service installer.

Right now the program requires the CLI to be in the folder I specified.  But a future rev may not require it.  Try it out and tell me what you think.  Feedback is needed!

[url=http://teammacosx.org//HostedApps/FoldingService/FAHSVC.exe]http://www.teammacosx.org//HostedApps/FoldingService/FAHSVC.exe[/url]

Last edited by NoahJ on Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoahJ
[url=http://TeamMacOSX.com]Folding With Honor, for the Platform[/url]

A True Opensource Community
The Premiere Mac Folding Team!
NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby NoahJ » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:08 pm

Ok, what can I say, I am feeling driven today.  2.0 is out and it has the following new features.

1) You should be able to set the folder that the CLI is installed on to any value you like. If the CLI is not there it will not continue to ask for the name of the CLI until it finds it in the path you specified. C:\Program Files\Folding@Home is still the default path.

2)  It will attempt to determine if you have already installed F@H as a service.  This is a very limited function, but it works if your service is called F@H.

3)  If it detects the service is already installed it will give you the option to remove it or change your CLI tags for the service.  Try it, I bet you will like it.  :cool:

This is perfect used in conjuntion with a program like EMIII.  The service will start the CLI as your computer comes up, and EMIII will show you what it has done so far.  And since it includes an unistall option you have the ability to remove it if you don't like it.  What are you waiting for?  :biggrin:

Last edited by NoahJ on Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby 314159 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:35 am

If set up as a Windoze service:
Assume for the moment that I am just a MacAddict with a PC hanging around and that I know nothing about XP etc, and the registry. (purely hypothetical) :lol:
What is the recommended procedure if one needs to change the flags/arguments passed to the Client?
They wouldn't have to be manually changed again if one had to reboot/restart, would they? :p
What flags are you passing? All Athlon friendly?
What "Recovery Action" did you choose if the service stops for some reason?
Source available?
John in Virginia, USA

[size=100][color=red]If you are a member of this Forum, PLEASE log in when visiting. Thanks![/color][/size]
Dirty Old Man
Dirty Old Man

Postby NoahJ » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:08 pm

Good questions.

First one.  You don't need to know anything about the registry to change the flags.  After you have insalled the servie using this app iff you simply run the app again you will be presented with the option to change the flags to whatever you wish.  It will stop and restart your client on the spot and alter the flags.  Once the flags are set they will be set until you change them the next time.  Set it and forget it.  :cool:

Right now all the flags are Athlon friendly if I recall correctly.  When you run the setup you will se the list of flags.  I will try to get that info and put it here.

If the service stops (and i have never had it do so yet) I have not chosen any special options.  It will be stopped.  All one would have to do to know it had stopped is to watch with a program like EMIII and if it is not folding anymore something is wrong.

The problem with windows executables is that there is not really an open source way to make them.  The software in volved is fairly expensive and hard to come by.  I can give the source away if anyone wants it, but without the proper compiler it will be worthless to them.  (I am using Microsoft's Installer Software, Like a weaker version of WISE Installer)
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby 314159 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:18 pm

Sounds slick and well thought out to me! :cool:

Would I have to stop the present service prior to running the app again if I wanted to modify the flags?

The suggestion of using EM III to detect a stopped service is fine with me. I join you in recommending its use if you choose to run F@H as a service. I like EM III's little red lightbulb - and the "beeping", if configured for such, should do the job. The primary concern here was a service stopped due to hardware not operating properly. I was not worried about the client or the core causing a problem.

A recovery action such as "Restart the service" - maybe after 1 minute might be handy on a first failure. For a second failure, I would use "Take no action". We "gotta" keep these babies folding, even when we're vacationing. :lol:

[quote]without the proper compiler it will be worthless to them
:p
John in Virginia, USA

[size=100][color=red]If you are a member of this Forum, PLEASE log in when visiting. Thanks![/color][/size]
Dirty Old Man
Dirty Old Man

Postby NoahJ » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:53 pm

I tried to make it as easy as possible.

The application actually makes the changes and restarts the service for you when you swap the flags around.  Also if you wish to unistall the service for whatever reason it does that for you as well.  Stops the service and then removes it.

The only part it does not do for you is configure the CLI.  That you have to do on your own by setting the team and USERID.  I could include a Config file but it would set all the CLI's to My userid and team 1971 and I think it would be seen as a bit underhanded.  :p   So I left that for the user to handle.  Trying to see if I can have it start the CONFIG during install and then all they have to do is fill in the values then...

Any other suggestions are welcomed...
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby 314159 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:14 pm

I would use the new -configonly if you do this. :lol:
John in Virginia, USA

Dirty Old Man
Dirty Old Man

Postby NoahJ » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:37 am

that was the plan.  But if they are using the V3 Client it will not work.  I am trying to work out the best way to handle this.  Version 3 will not be as quick as 1 and 2 were.  :D
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Postby 314159 » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:07 am

Oops! I had not considered that. I was thinking only about our newer members. Guess that's why you code on the PC while I mainly fold - or at least don't code for others...

I am certain that you would love to code it to bring down the V4 client, delete the V3, and etc. :lol:
John in Virginia, USA

Dirty Old Man
Dirty Old Man

Postby NoahJ » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:35 pm

Yes, have not got that one figured out yet with the app I am coding in though.  :D
NoahJ

NoahJ
Agent of Change
Agent of Change

Next

Return to Tips and Tricks